What amount of stress is good for you?
I am a college student trying to be little creative and be helpful in any way possible about mental health. i did my schooling from the Asian school Dehradun and currently doing my degree in BA psychology at Jyoti Nivas College Autonomous Bangalore. I have always been interested in learning about psychology and applying it into my own life. The knowledge I gained so far is something that I will like to share with you guys here. I write about anything related to mental health to help you understand yourself and others better. hope you like my blogs!
What amount of stress is good for you?
Stress is the body’s reaction to any change that requires an adjustment or response. A feeling of uneasy and discomfort. our body reacts to it physically, mentally and emotionally. It is actually a very much part of our daily normal lives. We experience stress from our own thoughts too sometimes.
We can categorize stress in two basic types which are EU-STRESS AND DISTRESS
EUSTRESS is known to be good stress healthy positive stress which we experience during a fun challenge, getting married, before watching a scary movie or riding a roller coaster! This stress pushes you out of your comfort zone and helps you to be better version of yourself and allows you for personal growth and satisfaction.
The characteristics of good stress:
- Improves performance
- Acts as motivation
- Short lived
- Is within our coping abilities
DISTRESS is known to be bad stress unhealthy stress . anything that causes you extreme fear, anxiety, sorrow or pain and leads you to negative implications.
The characteristics of bad stress:
- Unpleasant feeling
- Decreases performance
- Causes anxiety
- Beyond coping abilities
- Short or long lived
- May lead to mental and physical problems
‘you always think about stress as a really bad thing, but it’s not,’ said by Daniela Kaufer, associated professor of integrative biology at the university of California. Imagine our lives without little stress it will lead to boredom and even may lead to depression. Little stress has important role to play in our lives. it pushes us to level of optimal alertness, behavioral and cognitive performance.
Some researchers believe that acute stress fortifies the immune system and also enhance your memory, improves your heart function and protect our body from infections .one study shows that an individual who experienced stress before the surgery were able to recover faster than the individual who had low or high levels.
Stress is also a vital warning system , producing the fight and flight response. since we all know that stress in our lives are inevitable but can be managed by how we react to it.
Tips to manage everyday stress
- Reach out; especially in times like this corona VIRUS crisis, its true that all of us have gone through stress and has high rate of possibility of some of us going through the waves of post traumatic disorder. we may have been home quarantined or isolated due to which it can be really hard for us for the fact that we are all social animals. Reaching out to someone, talking to your friend, family or reconnecting to a long lost friend can be really therapeutic. seeking a help from a professional can also be helpful.
- Be realistic; putting yourself in different directions just to fit in can make you land in very stressful situation, dn’t over- commit yourself when you know that it doesn’t fit in your schedule.
- Time management; prioritize your tasks. multitasking can be difficult most of the time. Take one step at a time and do it efficiently with full focus. you can also make use of apps or jot down on calendars /notes on your device.it will prevent you from procrastinating and help you finish your work on time.
- Relax; taking break becomes as important as your work or projects.it lets you refresh your mind and take better decisions. during stressful situation it is very important to think and understand the problem in order to tackle it
- Exercise; devote at least 30 mins of your time to activities .exercise reduces stress and secretes hormones which make you feel good like endorphins, energies and puts you in better mood which will ultimately distract you from your dilemmas .
- Sleep;stress and sleep goes hand in hand. Stress can adversely affect sleep quality and duration ,while insufficient sleep can also increase stress levels. Casualty of both can result in lasting physical and mental health problems.
- Don’t self medicate; Don’t ever make use of the unhealthy steps or behavior to cope up with stress. drinking, smoking and consuming drugs will only make u escape the situation for a very short period of time and it will lead to long term negative effect on your mood and overall health.